Monadnock Linux User Group - July 14th

guy Pardoe guy at pardoeonline.com
Wed Jul 13 07:47:01 EDT 2005

The next meeting of the Monadnock Linux User Group (MonadLUG) will be this
Thursday, July 14th, 7:00pm, at the SAU 1 Superintendent's Office behind
South Meadow School in Peterborough.

This is a combined meeting with CentraLUG (of the Concord area) and will
feature guest speaker Ira Krakow, discussing WINE and running Windows
applications on Linux.

**** AGENDA ****

1.  Announcements.

2.  An overview of Wine, which enables Windows applications to run in Linux,
and Winelib, which enables Windows application sources to compile and run on
Linux.
    Ira discusses Wine and Winelib, which make it possible to run some
Windows applications on Linux, and to more easily port applications that
were originally written for a Windows platform.
    He'll also touch on other projects that can help an enterprise overcome
its Windows dependencies, such as ReactOS (the open source port of Windows
NT), MinGW (the port of GCC for Windows programs), and Mono (essentially,
Wine for .NET and C#). Ira is currently co- authoring a book for
Prentice-Hall, on Wine and Winelib; his co- author is Brian Vincent.

3.  Adjourn to Harlow's.

We're also looking for topics for future meetings.  If you have a suggestion
or would like to present a topic yourself, please contact me at
guy at pardoeonline.com.

Please forward this announcement to anyone you think may be interested in
attending.

Thank you,

Guy Pardoe
MonadLUG Coordinator