SLUG / GNHLUG Durham - Mon 9 Oct - Lojban

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 00:05:01 EDT 2006

What : Lojban language
Who  : Dave Montenegro
Day  : Mon 9 Oct 2006
Time : 7:00 PM
Where: Room 301, Morse Hall, UNH, Durham, NH

  This October, SLUG is proud to be hosting Dave Montenegro, who will be
presenting on the Lojban constructed spoken language.

What is This Lojban Thing?
--------------------------

  What if the language we speak affects how we think? If that's true, what
if we spoke a language that had a basis in logic? Would it lead to more
logical thought? "Lojban", a language based on predicate logic with an
unambiguous grammar, is the second generation of a language conceived to
answer those questions.

  This presentation will start with a basic introduction to the Lojban
language (http://www.lojban.org), covering the language's grammar,
semantics, history, and its relation to the predicate calculus.

  Because the Lojban language is grammatically unambiguous, it is ideally
suited to interaction with computers. Linux software related to Lojban will
be demonstrated, including a Lojban grammar parser, Lojban speech
synthesizers, a Lojban-English translator, Lojban computer games, and
various Lojban media such as music, poems, and podcasts in the Lojban
language.

About SLUG
----------

  SLUG is the Seacoast Linux User Group, and is a chapter of GNHLUG, the
Greater NH Linux User Group.  Rob Anderson is the SLUG coordinator.  SLUG
meets the second Monday of every month, same time, same place.  You can find
out more about SLUG and GNHLUG at the http://slug.gnhlug.org/ and
http://www.gnhlug.org/ websites.

 Meetings take place starting at 7:00 PM.  Meetings are open to all.  The
meeting proper ends around 9ish, but it's not uncommon to find hangers-on
there until 10 or later.  They take place in Room 301 (the third floor
conference room), of Morse Hall, at the University of New Hampshire, in
Durham.

Legal
-----

  This talk is neither an official function of, nor endorsed by, the Logical
Language Group.