[GNHLUG] SLUG/Durham / Mon 10 Mar / Rosegarden music software

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:48:50 EST 2008

Who  : Rob Anderson
What : Rosegarden music software
Date : Mon 10 Mar 2008
Time : 7 PM to 9 PM
Where: Room 301, Morse Hall, UNH, Durham, NH

=== What is Rosegarden? ===

Rosegarden appears to be the Emacs of music software.  It can compose
or edit musical scores.  It can generate traditional sheet music
(on-screen or printed).  If you have connected MIDI instruments (like
a MIDI keyboard), it can "record the notes you play".  It has plug-in
software synthesizers, for playback without hard instruments.  It can
record audio, mix it, and sample it for instruments and effects.  It
can hook into the JACK audio system in GUI ways.  It does everything
but make your music sound good -- that's still up to you.

Buzzwords: MIDI sequencer.  Organize music in segments and tracks.
Matrix, notation, and event editors.  Entry via MIDI keyboard, PC
keyboard, or mouse.  Unlimited undo.  Heuristic notation quantizer.
MIDI devices, plugs, banks, programs, and controllers.  Audio mixer
with levels, routing, submaster groups, effect slots.  Sample-accurate
synthesis of MIDI tracks.

There's a very cool looking tour on their website:

http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/tour/

The tour is where I got most of the above marketing fluff from --
'cause I sure as heck don't know what any of it mean!  I'll have to
show up Next Monday to find out!

=== About SLUG ===

 SLUG is the Seacoast Linux User Group, and is a chapter of GNHLUG,
the Greater NH Linux User Group.  Rob Anderson is the SLUG
coordinator, and reliably comes up with interesting topics each month.
 SLUG meets the second Monday of every month, same time, same place.
You can find out more about SLUG and GNHLUG at their websites.

http://slug.gnhlug.org

http://www.gnhlug.org

 Meetings take place starting at 7:00 PM.  Meetings are open to all.
The meeting proper ends around 9ish, but it's not uncommon to find
hangers-on there until 10 or later.  They take place in Room 301 (the
third floor conference room), of Morse Hall, at the University of New
Hampshire, in Durham.