[GNHLUG] CentraLUG, June2nd, Hopkinton: Mark Boyajian, Open Source Advocacy

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Tue May 20 17:09:07 EDT 2008

The monthly meeting of CentraLUG, the Concord/Central NH GNHLUG chapter,
happens the first Monday of most months. On June 2nd, we'll be meeting
at the Hopkinton Public Library [1] from 7 PM to 9 PM. Directions and
maps are available at
http://www.hopkintontownlibrary.org/directions.htm. Open to the public.
Free admission. Tell your friends.

At this meeting, Mark Boyajian, Bill Sconce and other special guests
will discuss "Open Source Advocacy." I hope this spurs some discussions
on how we can duplicate their success and avoid problems they can
provide us with insight into.

About the presentation
======================
Mark and Bill have been working with the Pepperell (MA) Lawrence Library
[2] to raise awareness of Open Source  software solutions.  They
kicked-off this effort with a presentation last October in support of
Software Freedom Day [3]. The enthusiasm of library director Debra
Spratt resulted in the Lawrence Library Tech Talk series: a monthly
presentation on Open Source software and issues.  Additionally, Debra
has facilitated the creation of an Open Source information kiosk [4] as
well as a Linux-based computer in the reference library for use by the
public!

The Tech Talk series formally launched in February and has consistently
drawn a good audience. The kiosk and computer have been up and
accessible since March. The experiences of working with this rich
environment has surprised, challenged, and taught us many things we
never expected. We are all working and adapting to better understand the
[technical] needs and interests of the community and how the library can
support them.

About Mark and Bill
-------------------

Mark is an IT consultant (Simple Solutions) specializing in curriculum
development and training, database development, and information
management using Open Source solutions wherever possible.  Mark "started
life" as a music teacher, spent 20 years as an environmental field
scientist specializing in wetlands and data management, and launched
Simple Solutions as a full-time endeavor in 2001 built on Open Source
solutions.

Bill Sconce is the proprietor of In-Spec, Inc., a Milford, NH-based
consulting company. Bill is an activist with the Greater New Hampshire
Linux Group, Secretary to the Board of Directors and coordinator of the
Python Special Interest Group. He's presented to most of the chapters
and advocates for Open Source software at many other venues, including
the McAuliffe and the NELS conferences.

FUTURE MEETINGS:

Stay tuned for details on the upcoming bbq/picnic all-hands meeting in
July, and for the location of the August meeting, still TBD.

As always, meetings are subject to change. You are encouraged to join
the low-traffic announcement list at
http://mail.gnhlug.org/mailman/listinfo/gnhlug-announce to get
announcement and cancellation information.