[GNHLUG] CentraLUG TOMORROW Monday, May3rd, NHTI, 7 PM

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Sun May 2 21:22:37 EDT 2010

The Central New Hampshire Linux User Group will meet at its usual place
and time, NHTI Library, Room 146, 7 PM - 9 PM. Directions can be found
at http://wiki.gnhlug.org/twiki2/bin/view/Www/NHTILibrary

In keeping with the tradition of 3-letter presentations (CSS, Vim, SQL,
er, HTM), I'll talk abut Git [1], the distributed version control
system. Git was originally developed by Linus Torvalds for the Linux
kernel [2] and is licensed under GPL2. It's become popular in Rails
development as well, especially with the hosted site GitHub.com. Similar
to Mercurial [3] or Bazaar [4], Git is a DVCS [5] - a distributed (or
Decentralized) version control system or revision control system. DVCSes
introduce an easier way to work on shared project. We'll talk about how
DVCSes work and Git in particular, look at some of the available
references [6], handy cheatsheets [7], and sites to host your DVCS [8].

As always, we'll have some time for introductions, job postings, folks
looking for work, questions and hopefully answers.

Hope to see you there.

[1] http://git-scm.com/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_%28software%29
[3] http://mercurial.selenic.com/