[GNHLUG] Do you feel LUKS-y, punk?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 13:21:04 EDT 2012

What :  Do you feel LUKS-y, punk?
Who  : Rob Anderson
Date : Mon 12 March 2012
Time : 7 PM to 9 PM
Where: Room 301, Morse Hall, UNH, Durham, NH

LUKS = Linux Unified Key Setup

>From Rob: "Anyone with a smart-phone knows how loosing it would feel.
What if not only are you out the device, but you're responsible for
loosing personal data or information sensitive to your company?  I had
always intended to find a mechanism to protect data stored on my
Android device, and eventually got around to looking into it.  Luckily
the same tool 'LUKS' exists in Linux for use on our laptops.  It's
even binary compatible with the Android version.  The only downside is
that you need a rooted android phone and crypto modules for your
phones kernel."
(http://slug.gnhlug.org/Members/rea/SLUG/slug-meetings/luks-encrypted-file-system)

>From the LUKS site: "LUKS is the standard for Linux hard disk
encryption. By providing a standard on-disk-format, it does not only
facilitate compatibility among distributions, but also provides secure
management of multiple user passwords. In contrast to existing
solution, LUKS stores all setup necessary setup information in the
partition header, enabling the user to transport or migrate his data
seamlessly.  LUKS was designed according to TKS1" which is an
"anti-forensic, two level, and iterated key setup scheme"
(http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/)

=== About SLUG ===

 SLUG is the Seacoast Linux User Group, and is a chapter of GNHLUG,
the Greater NH Linux User Group.  Rob Anderson is the SLUG
coordinator, and reliably comes up with interesting topics each month.
 SLUG meets the second Monday of every month, same time, same place.
You can find out more about SLUG and GNHLUG at their websites.

http://slug.gnhlug.org

http://www.gnhlug.org

 Meetings take place starting at 7:00 PM.  Meetings are open to all.
The meeting proper ends around 9ish, but it's not uncommon to find
hangers-on there until 10 or later.  They take place in Room 301 (the
third floor conference room), of Morse Hall, at the University of New
Hampshire, in Durham, New Hampshire, United States, North America,
Earth, Sol system, Orion spur, Milky Way galaxy, Virgo supercluster.