Loss of SCSI tape reliability with 2.4 kernel

Paul Iadonisi pri.nhlug at iadonisi.to
Thu Aug 8 12:14:14 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 12:08, Bill Freeman wrote:
> 	Does anyone know of issues with SCSI and/or st with 2.4
> kernels, and, hopefully, what to do about it?

[snip]

> 	The problem occurs with both the 2.4.9-34 and 2.4.9-12 i686
> kernels from RH (the two that I've tried).  The -34 is the latest
> update.
>
> 	Any thoughts?

  The Tolis Group (http://www.tolisgroup.com/), makers of the BRU backup
and restore utility, give warnings about all 2.4 kernels before 2.4.17.
I had serious problems with my VXA tape drive that I tried to get
working with Red Hat 7.2 (parity errors and other nastiness that I can't
remember) so much so that I grabbed a 2.4.17 kernel rpm from rawhide and
eventually got it working.  I've had no problems whatsoever with since I
upgraded to Red Hat 7.3.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator