Loss of SCSI tape reliability with 2.4 kernel

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Thu Aug 8 17:05:40 EDT 2002

	Thanks, all, for the advice and for the confirmation that
there is a problem with early 2.4 and SCSI tape.  I'll build myself a
newer kernel from source.  (And spend the time necessary to figure out
how to build ltmodem for myself, too.  The availability of rpms of it
for RH stock kernels has helped increase my inertia.  I'm not really
using Win4Lin much, so I don't really have that excuse to stay with
stock kernels.)

	But while we're near the subject, does anyone know what kind
of fix/enhancement does versus doesn't get rolled in when RH does a
new dash number suffix with the same real world kernel number?  I'd
sort of hope that SCSI problems would be high on their list of back
ports.

							Bill