Debian flamewar (was: Hello?)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Aug 9 15:15:50 EDT 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, at 1:42pm, Ed Lawson wrote:
>> I also feel I'd be remiss to not point out to the list maintainers that
>> GNU Mailman has a long history of security vulnerabilities.  The version
>> currently in use, 2.0.9, is known to be vulnerable to a number of
>> cross-site scripting attacks.
>
> Another reason to like Debian ....

  <RANT>

  This is what I mean when I complain about Debian users.  Debian is not the
only distribution to have security announcements!  In fact, as I near as I
can tell from these two advisories

	http://www.debian.org/security/2002/dsa-147
	http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-099.html

Red Hat had a fix out for the Mailman vulnerability almost *two months*
before Debian did.  Easily installed via "up2date", I might add.

  I am all for choices in distributions.  I think Debian has a number of
unique and valuable advantages.  I think more people should try Debian.
But by Linus's toothbrush, I wish the Debian community would stop acting
like Debian is God's Gift to Linux!

  </RANT>

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>