Ben's Debian tirade [was Re: Hello? ]

Ed Lawson k1vp at grizzy.com
Fri Aug 9 16:22:52 EDT 2002

pll at lanminds.com wrote:

> So they had a sercurity advisory.  Don't all major
>distributions do this?  Subscribe to SF and you don't need to bother
>with any one distro's security advisory.

I suggest looking at the various security announcements from the various
distosconcerning Mailman this year.  Can you tell from the announcements
what is being addressed by the new packages in all instances?  If not,
then perhaps the particular problem that started this thread was not
addressed by this or that upgrade announced in the past as suggested.

 I believe it is fair to say Debian has a good track record of
addressing security problems by issuing updated packages promptly and
apt makes them easy to apply.  Not saying they are the only ones or they
are far better than others.

I understand the issue of Debian zealots and how they lead to rather
visceral reactions in others.

Much like Linux zealots come to think of it.

Ed Lawson