Rack Mount Servers

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Sun Aug 11 20:39:41 EDT 2002

One advantage Sun (& Apple) have always had over PCs is quality.  They
are well built.  You can get replacement parts for it well after
they stop selling them.

I run 2 Suns.  An LX (1GB, 32MB) running OpenBSD as my firewall and a Sparc 20
running NetBSD as my fileserver, DNS, mail, etc..  I also have an Ultra
1.  The LX was $9.99 on eBay + $18 shipping.

My Sparc 20 had a memory error for a month because I was too lazy to
shut it down & reseat the simm.  Can PCs do error correction like that?

I've looked & installed Linux on the sun (both SuSE 7.3, Debian Potato
stable). I'm a bit frustrated with them.  I really want a journaled file
system on my fileserver, but neither of these distributions offer it on
sparc.  The BSD systems don't offer it out of the box either but their
releases are the same level as the Intel platform.  Solaris 9
does have journaling so I'm considering switching the Sparc 20.

Another advantage of sparcs: you can install with a serial terminal.  No
graphics card, monitor or keyboard needed.  Serial console servers in
the data center is much better then a KVM.  Ever try to use a KVM in
your DC in San Diego, CA from Burlington, MA?

--
-------
Tom Buskey