'My favorite platform' debate (was: Rack Mount Servers)

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Aug 12 20:58:44 EDT 2002

Much goes back to the design of the 8088 chip and its implementation in the
original PC. The larger onboard memory really required the 386 chip
(although the 286 changed some stuff). The other limitation was DOS, which
operated in realmode. Essentially, Windows 95 started the ball rolling on
that.
In Redmond's favor, any GUI is going to be somewhat of a memory hog.
My programming background is on the old IBM mainframe's with 32K or on 4K
PDP-8s. When memory is constrained, the programmer uses many memory saving
tricks including using the subroutine return slots (on the 8) as temporary
data stores or using an instruction as a mask.
When the PC was designed, there was a rather small market. You had the
Apple II with 16K, and a few other 8080, z80, m6800, or 6502. The PC used
the 8088 (which is the 8 bit version of the newer 8086 line. Coming from 8
bits to 16 bits was a big move.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group