Are American high tech workers obsolete?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Aug 13 15:20:51 EDT 2002

Yes. As we know everyone is graded on some form of measurable performance.
Reducing costs in itself can have disasterous long term affects, even if
books are not cooked. Dell is an interesting study. One reason is that it
is still run by the founder. Sun is another. In both cases you have a long
term CEO. A CEO who is in it for the long run will try to make good long
term decisions, not short term maximize my personal wealth and cut and run.
Dell is much better positioned to weather the current storm because they
are trim, have an excellent marketing program. Its competitors were forced
to make cuts. Downsizing in any business hurts morale, even if the
downsizing is necessary and done right.