Are American high tech workers obsolete?

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Wed Aug 14 14:03:57 EDT 2002

> I would re-phrase your subject line a little.  American tech workers aren't
> obsolete, they are just much higher priced than similar and less mature
> (read "slightly less capable sometimes") talent pools available in other
> parts of the world.
[...]
> Now any ideas on how American engineers can compete in this type of market ?

    The U.S. has historically had high labor costs -- this has traditionally
been seen as a good thing.

    During the vast majority of the 1800s and into this century, US labor was
higher priced than most European labor.  This caused an ebb-and-flow of
Europeans to the US which fluctuated with good/bad economic conditions on the
continent and in the US; many of these workers stayed for the cheap land and
liberty, but also many of them were "seasonal" workers who earned money in the
good times in the US and who went back to Europe when the economy turned sour.

    The end result of the traditional high labor costs in the US was a greater
level and emphasis on automation, which benefitted us in many ways.

    Of course, with the exporting of our manufacturing base, this cycle is
broken, or at least is in need of major repairs.  Yet outside of a few labor
advocates, mainstream politicians are so beholden to corporate America that
they ignore the issue.

--
  | Regards,
  | .