uname output ?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Aug 19 11:51:55 EDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, at 11:26am, Michael O'Donnell wrote:
> Wouldn't the presence of (some combination of) the various apt-related
> directories be a reliable sign that you had a Debian box?

  APT has been ported to RPM.

> I don't know much about RedHat but I'd assume the corresponding RPM stuff
> could serve the same purpose.

  RPM has been ported to Debian.  Additionally, many distributions aside
from Red Hat use RPM -- SuSE and Mandrake are the most well-known.  I think
the LSB even requires RPM to be available, which would mean any
LSB-compliant distro would match.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>