uname output ?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Aug 19 11:54:11 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:12:51 EDT
Bob Bell said:

>On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:46:21AM -0400, pll at lanminds.com <pll at lanminds.com>
>wrote:
>> Yeah, but even rms has conceded that a Solaris system with the GNU
>> utilities added to it isn't and shouldn't be referred to as GNU/Solaris :)
>
>    Do you have a pointer to that?

Not off hand.  I believe it was in one of my fruitless and pointless
private arguments, er, debates with him :)

I'll see if I can dig it up.

>I'm curious what distinctions he makes to argue for "GNU/Linux"
>but not "GNU/Solaris"...

Basically it boils down to a "Linux System" is comprised of almost
entirely free software from the kernel to the window manager to the
shell utilities, etc. and GNU and the FSF were the ones pioneering
the whole concept of Free Software.  Whereas, Solaris is almost
entirely non-free software which may or may not have free software
added to it, therefore, it's not GNU/Solaris, since so little is free
software.

I'll see if I can dig up that e-mail some where.
--

Seeya,
Paul