uname output ?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Aug 19 12:18:02 EDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, at 11:46am, mike ledoux wrote:
> [root at ibm1 /root]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> cat: /etc/redhat-release: No such file or directory
>
> This is on a kickstart-installed RH6.2 box.  'redhat-release' is an
> optional package, at least in 6.2.

  *shakes head in disbelief*  According to Red Hat, that file should always
be there.  It is not "optional" when performing an interactive install --
even with no "optional" packages selected, that gets installed.  Red Hat's
initscripts (the aforementioned rc.local) assume it exists.

  I suspect redhat-release was just never included in the Kickstart profile.
Whether that is a bug in Kickstart or a bug in the dependencies depends on
your point-of-view.  Either way, it is rather ironic.  *sigh*  Only Red
Hat...

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>