uname output ?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Aug 19 12:09:36 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:59:25 EDT
mike ledoux said:

>That's what I thought you were going to say.  Of course, as pointed out
>elsethread, that method is quite unreliable, at least for Red Hat.

Well, yeah, which has been my complaint for a long time.  There is no
reliable method to determine distro and release under Linux.

The lsb_release package does offer promise, but again, it's an
optionally installed package at least on Debian (I don't know
about those which are now "lsb compliant").

As Derek pointed out, it would be best if distribution providers
customized the uname fields appropriately for their next release.
However, even that ultimately won't help unless they make those
packages dependant upon something else like lsb_release.

For example, if I have a RH 6.2 system, I might well upgrade the
sh-utils package to that which shipped with 7.3.  Does uname now
report that I'm using 7.3 or 6.2?  How does it determine this?
If it relies upon the lsb_release package, how does this determine
which release I'm on?  Does it rely upon /etc/redhat_release?  What
if this is not correct.  This is not an easy problem to solve :(

--

Seeya,
Paul