sorting pathnames by basename

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Aug 20 10:13:19 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:18:32 EDT
"Derek D. Martin" said:

>1. Perl seems to favor supporting a variety of features with obscure,
>meaningless, two-character variables that might be clearer with flags
>or arguments to functions that make use of it.

Define obscure please.  Everything in the perl language is tediously
and breathtakingly documented and quickly accessible to any system on
which perl has been installed using either the 'man' or 'perldoc'
commands.

>Whereas in many ways, Perl seems to have gone
>out of its way to work like other common Unix tools/languages (shell
>scripting, C, sed/grep), in others it seems to go out of its way to do
>things in such a way as to be as confusing as possible.

Example?

>2.  The people who like to program Perl seem to have a propensity to
>prefer to write code which takes advantage of all the obscure
>features, and generally to write code which is unreadable.

Well, I guess it depends upon how well you know the language.  I can
say the same for just about any language I've ever looked at.
For example, the C code in libc is about as obscure undecipherable as
it gets :)

>I reject the notion that it is not possible to write readable code in
>Perl.  I prefer to think that Perlheads just like it that way.  =8^)

I think a lot also has to do with coding style.  People who write
unreadable code will do so in any language.  I ardently comment my
code far more than the average programmer, IMO.  Partially because I
can seldom remember what I did in 6 months, and partially because if
I were to pass my code around, I want whomever I'm passing it to
immediately be able to understand what I was thinking.

I think the problem with JAPHs (or "PerlHeads" as you call them)
forget that there may be others who don't know the language as well
as they do.  Additionally, they're also quite expert programmers who
also don't believe in commenting their code, believing the code
should speak for itself :)

--

Seeya,
Paul