UNIX Arcana [was Re: Perl (or Unix vs. MS, actually) ]

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Aug 20 16:41:46 EDT 2002

The 14 character limit did exist in Unix versions 6 and 7. Version 6 was
used as a basis for the BSD releases. Version 7 was the basis for what
became System 3 followed by System V. Long file names I think came out for
the first time in BSD 4.3 (or possibly 4.2).
Unlike MS DOS, which had a limit of 8 for the file name and 3 for the
extension, the file extension was (and is) a convention, and the dot (.)
could appear anywhere in the 14 characters. Filenames beginning with a dot
are uninteresting, and not generally displayed by ls.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director