UNIX Arcana [was Re: Perl (or Unix vs. MS, actually) ]

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Aug 20 16:53:55 EDT 2002

I think you are correct. Create(2) is a system call. Linkage editors those
days were rather primitive. I think the name limit was either 7 or 8, but
external names in C were many times autoprefixed with __, such that creat
became __creat.
The C language had a limit of 8 characters for a variable name (K&R 2.1).
(Actually a name could be longer, but only the first 8 were significant).
I think the only other programmer on this list who might have been writing
C back then is my granduncle, Alex Hewitt ;-)

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director