Perl (or Unix vs. MS, actually)

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Aug 21 10:13:43 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:52:35 EDT
"Steven W. Orr" said:

>On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 pll at lanminds.com wrote:
>=>In a message dated: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:16:58 CDT
>=>Thomas Charron said:
>=>
>=>For example, in shell, the construct:
>=>
>=>	cd /tmp && rm foo
>
>Whotchoo talkin 'bout Willis?
>
>cd == chdir is a builtin command. But point taken.

Okay, bad example :)  How about:

	PID=`ps -ef | grep foo | awk '{print $2}'`
	kill -9 $PID

That's 4 sub-processes :)

>Actually, debugging bash isn't all that bad.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but...

>set -x

isn't the same as a debugger with break points, watches, etc.

>And there is a full blown
>debugger available for ksh with breakpoints and everything. :-)

Ooh, now *that's* cool!  Thanks!
--

Seeya,
Paul