UNIX Arcana [was Re: Perl (or Unix vs. MS, actually) ]

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Aug 22 11:06:35 EDT 2002

In a message dated: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:56:37 EDT
"Jerry Feldman" said:

>Burger King's point of Sale system in the early 1970s was a PDP-8M with 4
>attached registers. No disk, no paper tape, core memory. For the modem, we
>had to time the 1200 baud with timing loops and send a bit at a time. No
>UART. We also had to strike the hammers on the printer drum. Keyboard
>required to reads (row and column). If the system crashed, a service guy
>had to come in, plug in the paper tape board, and reload the program.

You know, I just heard someone complaining that the quaility of
"service" people has taken a drastic drop in the last 20-30 years.
I guess if, to work for Burger King inthe 1970s you needed to be able
to operate a PDP-8 class machine you'd have to be a whole lot smarter
than those "touch screen monkeys" they have now-a-days, which
explains why QoS at the burger joints has gone down hill ;)
--

Seeya,
Paul