File server

Andrew W. Gaunt quantum at lucent.com
Mon Aug 26 14:29:49 EDT 2002

I'm in the very preliminary stages of looking into the
possibilty of replacing a proprietary file server we have
that is rather expensive and difficult to work with.

Without going into too much detail, its replacement must
be able to deliver data via NFS and SMB. Samba is just fine
for the latter. Also, it must be maintainable (no proprietary
secrets that only the vendor's wizards know and can't reveal),
reliable, scalable, blah blah.. Something in the Terabyte size
for starters. It will need to serve hundreds of Solaris/Windows
clients with the occasional linux box (they are growing in
number, however).

Any suggestions as to what projects or vendors I might read up on?

--
_| _| : : }  quantum at lucent.com - http://www-cde.mv.lucent.com/~quantum
 -(O)-==-o\  andrew at gaunt.org - http://www.gaunt.org