Help me out of wireless hell

Hewitt Tech hewitt_tech at attbi.com
Tue Aug 27 07:58:26 EDT 2002

I think you might have better luck if you buy a different PCMCIA card. I
have a LinkSys wireless access point that is built into their 4 port
switched hub and it works fine with a variety of cards. Specifically, I have
used it with an older LinkSys WPC11 (probably the 1st version), a Compaq
iPaq wireless card (Prism II), an Orinoco Gold card (Hermes) and a Compaq
WL100 card (Prism I think). All of these cards seem to work fine. One thing
you might want to check out - do you by any chance have a 2.4 ghz wireless
phone? If so, there are known interference issues with the phones and the
2.4 ghz 802.11b access points. One way around this I read somewhere in a
newsgroup is to either select a specific channel (LinkSys seems to default
to channel 6) or to make sure the wireless access point and wireless network
is started before the phone is powered up. Apparently there is logic in the
devices to detect existing communications and avoid conflicts.

-Alex

P.S. AFAIK, the main advantage of the newer LinkSys WPC11 V3+ cards is that
they use the Prism II chip set and have better range. In that department the
Orinoco card is far superior to any of the other cards I have. Also, I have
a D-Link DL120 USB wireless unit that exceeds all my PCMCIA cards in terms
of range.