Ethernet question

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue Aug 27 10:34:55 EDT 2002

Hi all,

In mucking around with the mii-tools from Donald Becker, I noticed in
the man page that you can set a fixed speed for your card.  The
choices given are:

	100baseT4
	100baseTx
	100baseTx-FD
	100baseTx-HD
	10baseT
        10baseT-FD
	10baseT-HD

What is 100baseT4?  And why would you set a speed of 100baseTx-HD.
Is that really setting only the transmit speed to 100MB/HD?  Why/when
would you ever have a situation where you'd need tx at HD, and rx at
FD?  Or vice-versa, and why not have a 100baseRx-HD setting?

Anyone understand this better than I do? (btw, I search Scyld.com for
answers, and either couldn't find them, or looked in the wrong place :)

--

Seeya,
Paul