Speaking of wireless

Jon Hall maddog at li.org
Tue Aug 27 21:20:11 EDT 2002

cinnur at attbi.com said:
> You may want to check out their units doing 802.11a, which would give
> you a better choice of frequencies, and I also think bandwidth.

I would not advise many people at this time to go 802.11a, since 802.11g is right
around the corner.  While 802.11a is faster, with "more frequencies", 802.11b
is the established standard, and 802.11g will be backwards compatible with it.

There are "second generation" 802.11b cards that give 22 Mbits/sec and are
compatible with 802.11b systems that exist right now.

My $0.02

md
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(SM)
email: maddog at li.org         80 Amherst St.
Voice: +1.603.672.4557       Amherst, N.H. 03031-3032 U.S.A.
WWW: http://www.li.org

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(SM)Linux International is a service mark of Linux International, Inc.