Speaking of wireless

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Wed Aug 28 14:02:07 EDT 2002

In a message dated: 28 Aug 2002 13:47:26 EDT
Kevin D. Clark said:

>However, refusing to respond to any ICMP is anti-social in a
>networking sense; this breaks various things (like TCP path MTU
>discovery, for example).  This behavior is non-compliant with how the
>specs are written.  As such, if you set up a server this way, not
>everybody is going to be able to use it.

Usually people don't turn this off at the server level.  I've most
often seen it done at the firewall, which is configured to drop ICMP
requests destined for anything behind it.

It may well be anti-social, but so is cracking a network :(

If everyone would just be nice we wouldn't have to deal with this crap!
So, be nice, dammit! :)
--

Seeya,
Paul