NFS Question

Kenneth E. Lussier kenny at digitalrebel.org
Thu Aug 29 19:46:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 15:54, pll at lanminds.com wrote:

> Well, *technically* both CPUs are affected, since the server has to
> do something :)
>
> But no, the system on which you actually invoke the command to start
> the application is the one which actually *runs* the application.
>
> The NFS server has no idea what you did, since it only recieves via
> RPC a request to open a file and send the contents of it to the
> requesting client.

That is what I thought. But thanks to everyone that confirmed it for me.

> >2) What sort of problems are there with NFS on Linux? I have heard that
> >there are file locking problems, but nothing really in depth. Anyone
> >care to elaborate?
>
> Well, NFS locking in general isn't that great.  But that's not
> specific to Linux.  The problems with Linux NFS are more that the
> code is just immature and buggy, though it's gotten slightly better
> in recent years.  It's also a little slow compared to other
> implementations like True64 and Sun.  Ironically, from what I've
> heard, Sun's implementation isn't even that great, and their the ones
> who wrote the specs!  I've heard the best implementation is under
> True64.  But I guess that's hardly surprising, since DEC always did
> everything technical very well, they just couldn't sell worth a damn ;)

Well, since it will be a Solaris/Linux mix, that gives me a great big
warm fuzzy ;-)

> If you're concerned about using NFS under Linux, knowing a little
> more about what you want to do might help us help you determine
> whether or not it's a good idea.
>
> If you plan on exporting a mail spool via NFS, we'll all smack you
> now ;)

heh heh... You mean there's something wrong with mounting a mail spool??
;-) Actually, the plan is to install an extremely large EDA/PCB design
system on a central server and allow clients to run the design tools
from clients. That way, the software doesn't need to be installed on
every single client.

C-Ya,
Kenny
--
"The ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides.
The drift of the continents.