Need info on swapping

Brenda Bell k15a-list-gnhlug at mail.theotherbell.com
Fri Aug 30 11:08:25 EDT 2002

I was debugging through a problem on my Drake 8.2 box last night
and discovered (or think I discovered) that I have a low-memory
condition.

I'm not running much, but I am running a couple of memory hogs like
X.  I encountered a problem when I tried to run a second instance of
qmail and kept getting the following error:

/bin/sh: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: failed to map
segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory

When I checked /proc/meminfo, it showed low free memory and an
almost empty swap... so I figure there's one of two things happening:
either I have something wrong with my swap configuration that
causes everything to stay in real memory or there's a lot of stuff
that can't be swapped.

I've found lots of information on setting up swap, but haven't come
across anything that explains how it's used, what determines whether
a process is swappable, etc.  Some advice as to where to look would
be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
   Brenda