shell scripting style question

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Thu Dec 5 08:29:18 EST 2002

"Price, Erik" <eprice at ptc.com> writes:

> [...]

Well, go to the top of a directory tree and type:

   find . -print

and compare this with

   ls -R . | cat

(or "ls -1R" -- ls outputs differently if it believes that it isn't
connected to a tty)

The output is different.  One happens to be easier to work with, IMHO.

"find" happens to be one of my favorite tools.

--kevin
--
``I also suggest that UNIX offers something else prized in literature: a
  coherence, a consistent style, something writers call a voice.''