OT: fireproofing a christmas tree

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Sun Dec 8 11:07:41 EST 2002

I know you can buy a sachet of powder at the plant store, but I like
this recipe.  The recipe will keep your tree's thirst quenched, your
home safe and your holiday filled with the scent of pine.  Any you can
avoid some of the mis-information such as the one that tells of osmosis
that goes from low to high.

There are plenty of links the net for this recipe, such as this one:
http://home.houston.rr.com/rreid/info/fireproofing.html
and
http://www.outdoornaturehut.com/article1032.html

where they simply say:

CHRISTMAS TREE--PRESERVATIVES
Water is still the best preservative for Christmas trees. Make sure
trees have a 1-inch fresh cut. ALWAYS keep the Christmas tree stand
basin filled with water. If the tree absorbs all the water, the basin is
empty and you haven't noticed, a fresh cut needs to be made on the tree,
even if that means taking all the decorations off.
Aspirins, copper pennies, uncolas, sugar and bleach have not been shown
to prolong the life of a tree.

<RECIPE>

Every year many dreams result in tragedy as a result of Christmas trees
catching on fire.  Traditionally, we take a dead tree (usually a spruce
or fir, which is highly flammable when dry) not properly prepared, set
it in our homes and wrap it with electric wires.  What an invitation
for a fire!

Here is a safety tip for fireproofing natural Christmas trees.
Provided you follow the directions carefully, this remedy should make
your Christmas tree fireproof.

Ingredients:
-- Two cups of Karo syrup
-- Two ounces of liquid chlorine bleach
-- Two pinches of Epsom salt
-- One-half teaspoon of Borax
-- One teaspoon of chelated iron
-- Hot water

You can purchase the Karo syrup, Borax and liquid chlorine bleach from
your supermarket.  The Epsom salt can be purchased from the drug store
and the chelated iron (pronounced key-lated) can be purchased from a
garden shop or plant store.

Procedure:

    1. Mix your fireproofing ingredients listed above.  Fill a two-gallon
       bucket with hot water to within one inch of the top and add the
       ingredients.  Stir thoroughly, dissolving ingredients.  Put to
       side.

    2. With a saw, take your recently-purchased Christmas tree and make a
       fresh cut at the base on the tree trunk.  Cut an inch off the base
       of the tree.  Try to make a level cut.

    3. Immediately stand the trunk of the tree in the solution and leave
       for 24 hours.

    4. Keep the remaining solution.  Place your tree in a tree stand that
       contains a well where liquids can be poured.

    5. When the tree is in its final resting place, use a plastic cup to
       pour solution from the bucket into the tree well.  Fill the well.

    6. Every day without exception, the well of the tree stand must be
       "topped up" with the solution from the two-gallon bucket.

Follow these simple directions and your tree should be fireproofed.  It
may save your home and family from those fire tragedies we hear about
around the holidays.  If you're curious, after Christmas when you
remove your tree, snap off a branch and try to set it on fire,
OUTDOORS.

How does the solution work?

In a nutshell, the Karo syrup provides the sugar necessary to allow the
base of the tree to take up water.  Up to 1.5 gallons of water can be
taken up by the tree over a two-week period.  Boron in the Borax allows
the tree to move the water and sugar out to every branch and needle in
your tree.  Magnesium compounds in the Epsom salt and iron from the
chelated iron provide essential components for the production of
chlorophyll which will keep the tree green.  The bleach prevents mold
from forming in your solution.

Some of the other beneficial side effects of this procedure are that
the needles will not drop and you will notice an increase in natural
pine fragrance.  Have a safe and happy holiday!

</recipe>

Greg Rundlett
greg AT freephile DOT com