sortof OT firewalls

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Mon Dec 9 08:52:24 EST 2002

I use an old PC running OpenBSD 2.7, IPF and IPNAT. It wasn't exactly
quick to set up the first time, but after that, it works great.

Some hints: You'll want two nics in the machine and a hub doesn't hurt
either. This is really a better set up for someone who has more than 1
machine behind the firewall. (I have 4, not counting the firewall
machine itself.) You'll also want to update your firewall system as soon
as it is installed. There's a security fix for the version of IPF that
shipped with OpenBSD 2.7.

The above should work with cable, DSL, or other broadband connection. If
you get a real modem, it should even work as a dial on demand server,
but I've never set one of those up.