Max # of files/dirs under Linux?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Dec 10 12:05:59 EST 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, at 11:21am, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> Basically, I over-heard a hallway conversation where a mktg droid was
> quoting "Linux limitations" as far as the max # of files/dirs per file
> system.  It lead me to wonder enough to post a question :)

  Ohhhhhhhh.  Why didn't you *say* you wanted marketing numbers.  :-)

  For ext2 on 64-bit hardware:

  Maximum file size = 2 terabytes
  Maximum filesystem size = 32 terabytes
  Maximum number of files in a filesystem = Unlimited
  Maximum number of files in a single directory = Unlimited
  Maximum number of subdirectories in a single directory = 32768
  Maximum number of inodes in a filesystem = 2^32 (approx 4.3 billion)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>