Ripping OGG files (was Re: can't mount cdrom)

Tilly, Lawrence Lawrence.Tilly at LibertyMutual.com
Tue Dec 10 12:09:12 EST 2002

My argument (for everything it's worth) would be that albums that really need to "flow" should just be kept in a separate directory or play-list. I agree that if I'm listening to the Wall I don't want to have the songs randomized or intermixed with another artist. But at the same time I don't think it's a good idea to stream the entire album into one file. Otherwise you're randomly playing your individual tracks and suddenly jump into "Dark Side" (as one file) and that's all you hear for the next hour before selecting the next song in your collection.

Along similar lines though, there are cases where two songs on an album really should remain in sequence, and joining them to be viewed as a single track I think is a Good Thing. I can think of a number of examples on albums by Floyd, Queensryche and Judas Priest just out of my collection, and I'm sure there's many more. In a case like that I'd join the songs to eliminate the chance of splitting.  But for a full "theme" album I'd just put it in it's own directory as individual songs so you can still access one or two "stand alones" from the album if you want.

Lawrence

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Edwards [mailto:redwards at golgotha.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 8:25 AM

>   I see one.  Occasionally, you run across albums such as Pink Floyd's
> The Wall where, I believe, there are separate tracks, but the music
> doesn't necessarily stop between tracks.

    Or the flow of the album just demands that the next track on the album be
played.  Single tracks are fine for the vast majority of songs and I have xmms
randomize them; this typically works well and gives a nice variety.  But
there's quite a few albums where the tracks should be played as they were on
the album.  (Who'd of thunk it that some bands would nail that "album thing"
and not just see it as a way of pricing music more expensively.)

    Since you mentioned Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon is one such album --
it just isn't "normal" to go from a track on that album and to have xmms
randomize in The Offspring or something else as the next track.  There's a
couple of spots on Dark Side of the Moon where one could cut to something
different, but the work is best played in its entirety.

    Thanks to all that responded; I'll play around with cat and see how that
works.