Networking help

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Thu Dec 12 19:01:00 EST 2002

Derek Martin <gnhlug at sophic.org> writes:

> Oh, come on Kevin, lots of systems let you do lots of things that
> aren't legal...

Multiple default routes are legal, and I still think that it is
reasonable to expect that if these were in fact illegal that the code
that maintains the routing table would balk at such a configuration.

> In point of fact, 4.3BSD systems (and before) allowed you to SET
> multiple default routes, but it would never USE any but the first.

Yes, there are a lot of different interpretations/implementations
here.

> I'll also note that what I said was those were the only systems I was
> aware of that supported it...

Yes, this is true.

Regards,

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)