Debian Potato on oldworld powerpc

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Sun Dec 15 19:18:56 EST 2002

Has anyone successfully installed Potato (Debian 2.2) on an "old world"
PowerPC (specifically: a UMAX 500)?

We excavated several of these things from the barn and we'd like to put
Linux on them and donate them to an outreach project in Nevis (a small
country in the Caribbean).

I've attempted to follow the installation instructions, but they are
incredibly vague and disjoint on the old-world macs. I'm instructed to
boot from the rescue disk, but there's no rescue.bin in the powermac
directory.

The Debian CD#1 has the following files for the powermac:

    BootX_1.2.2.sit  boot-floppy-hfs.img   ofboot.b  vmlinux
    yaboot.conf
    TRANS.TBL	 bootvars1.3b.sit.hqx  root.bin  yaboot

All the other installation directories (apus, chrp, prep) have the
following files (and matches the installation instructions) - except the
prep, which also has a boot.bin).

    TRANS.TBL  linux  rescue.bin  root.bin

So the powermac doesn't have a rescue.bin image, and I'm at a loss as to
what to do with the other files.

Does anyone have any ideas/experience/references?

--Bruce