An opening for open source?

Ed Lawson k1vp at grizzy.com
Mon Dec 16 10:14:02 EST 2002

My local school district just discovered that due to receiving less
state aid and having to contribute more money to the state, it will have
a one plus million dollar shortfall over and last year's revenue.  this
translates to major cost cutting as the voters are not about to raise
local taxes to cover the gap.

I will be going to the districts technology meeting this week at which
the technology group is being given the news about what they have to
cut. Apparently major blood letting. The thing is of course they no
doubt have bound themselves to the supscription process with MS and
really have few options.  Or rather money goes to MS which means it is
not available for other things.  Hopefully someone will be receptive to
open source solutions.

Let you know how it goes later.

Ed Lawson