software raided linux box keeps hanging

Keyser Soze keyser_soze at bad-one.com
Sat Dec 21 12:55:37 EST 2002

Sorry if you get this twice.  I replied with the wrong email address, and
it was automatically intercepted by some "list bot".

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, at 6:19pm, keyser_soze at bad-one.com wrote:
> > My raid setup used to work fine, but just recently the system started
> > hanging.
>
>   What did you change?  :-)

Software-wise?  ... nothing.  One day the system just started locking up.
I reinstalled 7.2 several times, altering options and formatting all
partitions.  This problem still occurred after each fresh install, and
sometimes even during the install.

Hardware-wise?  ... nothing also - at least nothing before this problem
first appeared.  After the problem appeared, I swapped the disks into a
completely different system, up to the ribbon cable.  The system still
locked up.

So if the partition setup is valid, then it seems that the root of the
problem somehow lies within one of the disks.  I cannot come up with any
other explanation, since the only common factor related to this problem is
the pair of disks.  But its not satisfying enough, to just replace the
disk(s) without knowing what the problem is.  So as I type this, I'm
installing 7.2 again, but solely for the purpose of using the "check for
bad blocks feature".  I'm actually hoping that this test reveals a bad
disk just to put problem to rest.  If it doesn't reveal anything,
hopefully there is some disk util out there that will.  Any suggestions?