Red hat 8.0

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Wed Dec 25 19:30:20 EST 2002

On 25 Dec 2002, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

>   However, just to clear up a point, Red Hat switched from Gnome 1.4 to
> Gnome 2.0 in Red Hat 8.0 and, to the best of my knowledge, there *is no*
> gui for switching window managers in Gnome 2.0.  The good news is that I
> read one of the Gnome summaries not long ago and there is apparently a
> new window manager switcher gui in the works for Gnome 2.2.

I didn't intend that as a slam against Redhat, actually, I was just
venting a bit at one of the rare instances where I had a problem with
their distribution. This metacity issue and the CPAN/apache2 problem have
been aggravating lately, compounded by the loss of my Redhat 7.3 machine
to a fried motherboard.

The CPAN issue has to do with Redhat 8.0 using apache2 and a beta of
mod_perl2. I've been depending on RequestTracker, a helpdesk manager that
sits on top of a large number of perl modules, and when I try to install
it under 8.0, it chokes in the middle of pulling over its dependencies via
CPAN. The problem isn't with RequestTracker, of course; I run into the
same problem when I try to install the necessary modules by hand, whether
through CPAN or directly from the tarballs.

I know I could always just nuke apache2 and downgrade to an older version
of apache and mod_perl, but that kind of defeats the whole point of
installing the latest version of the distribution.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr at jabber.org / YAHOO abreauj
Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9