non-netsol registrars with non-web interface

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Sat Nov 2 22:13:03 EST 2002

bscott at ntisys.com wrote:

>   Today, NetSol is keeping the old NIC handles in their WHOIS database for
> now, but they are dumping the old email-based interface for a web-based
> interface, and authentication is done with account numbers and passwords,
> rather than handles and PGP keys.  The transition to the new system has made
> a mess of things for some people (no surprise there).

Hmm. That seems rather dumb if you ask me. Passwords make a great access
mechanism, but a lousy security mechanism. PKC would be much better for
guaranteeing that someone is who they claim to be.

On the topic at hand, I use easyDNS, as a previous poster mentioned.
They don't have an email interface, but you create an account with a
login name and all of your domains are accessible for that account. You
need only change your contact information once.

WHOIS information, however, seems to be kept separate from the account
info. I recently had to change the WHOIS on my 3 domains and I had to do
it once for each domain. Not a big deal with 3 domains. If you have
fifty, I could see it being a pain.

Maybe we shoud start our own registration service?