Linux NFS server

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Wed Nov 6 10:26:08 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:33:40AM -0500, pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> >Specifically what we're looking at now is an NFS server
> >from pogolinux (http://www.pogolinux.com), the storageware
> >3800.
>
> I know nothing about PogoLinux.  Why them over something like a Dell
> or HP and installing Linux yourself?

Probably the software.  The only NAS-control software that I
know of is Netattach, which seems to have fallen off the face
of the earth.

> Or, if you're just looking for pure NAS storage with NFS/SMB
> capabilities, why not something like OpenNAS, or, if you have the
> money, a real NetApp.
>
> If you don't have the money, I'd go with a standard PC server
> combined with a small external RAID array connected via SCSI3.

BTW, if you're doing this, really take a look at LVM.  We're buying
IBM boxes with RAID built in, and use LVM to create the filesystems
we need.  It's still a manual process (CLI) and you have to unmount
ext2/3 filesystems if you want to resize, but XFS/ReiserFS(?) can
resize on the fly.

-Mark