making vars in bash script accessible from shell

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Nov 8 11:10:01 EST 2002

In a message dated: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 09:59:31 EST
"Price, Erik" said:

>PS: is it possible to install "less" on this Solaris box without
>root access? It's a company server, and I'm not an admin.  I'm
>addicted to "less" for reading text files, but it doesn't seem to
>be on this machine.  However, I did find something called
>/opt/GCC281/bin/gcc so it seems I have access to a compiler....

'less', like all gnu utilities, uses autoconf/automake for
[configur,build,install]ing the sources.  Therefore, you should have
no problem doing something like this:

	$ ./configure --prefix=/home/erik
	$ make
	$ make install

Which will result in all these utilities being installed in:

	~erik/bin,etc,lib,sbin,man

etc.
--

Seeya,