What do you use for documents with equations?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri Nov 8 14:03:32 EST 2002

In a message dated: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:55:54 EST
Bill Freeman said:

>	I've got a little article with a bunch of math to write, and
>want to use an open source GUI tool.  I've used lyx, and it's OK, but
>I use it so rarely that I need to re-learn it every time.
>
>	Does abiword or open office do a good job on equations?  Are
>there other tools that I should look at?  Ideally it will mix not only
>text and equations, but also plotted (geometry text style) figures.
>(I guess that you can embed an image, at least, in any of them.)

I recommend staying with LyX or some other TeX based application.
TeX was written specifically for math/equation oriented stuff, and I
don't think anything else out there comes close to it's capabilities.

I doubt AbiWord does a good job, I have a hard enough time getting it
to open Word docs as it is, which seems to be their main goal.

OpenOffice might do better, but again, their goals are to create a
decent word processor for use on the desktop to replace MS Office
apps.  Whereas TeX and LaTeX are specifically for math oriented
documents.
--

Seeya,
Paul