What do you use for documents with equations?

Michael Costolo mcostolo at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 8 20:27:20 EST 2002

--- Bill Freeman <f at ke1g.mv.com> wrote:
> 	I've got a little article with a bunch of math to write, and
> want to use an open source GUI tool.  I've used lyx, and it's OK, but
> I use it so rarely that I need to re-learn it every time.
>
> 	Does abiword or open office do a good job on equations?  Are
> there other tools that I should look at?  Ideally it will mix not only
> text and equations, but also plotted (geometry text style) figures.
> (I guess that you can embed an image, at least, in any of them.)
>
> 							Thanks, Bill

Another vote for LaTeX.  Then again, I use it for all my documents.  There's a
decent KDE program "ktexmaker" that helps with editing by providing some of the
commands and their options (http://xm1.net.free.fr/linux/index.html).  (Looks like
the new version is now called Kile?)  It is similar to the Windows editor WinEDT
(http://www.winedt.com), but not quite as advanced.  It is not a GUI program like
Lyx or Abiword, but if you're interested in LaTeX under Linux you might find this
helpful.

And if you use gnuplot for your plots, you can set it to output LaTeX commands to
generate your plots and include that file's contents in your LaTeX document.

-Mike-