running Linux at work with Windows apps

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Nov 11 13:25:38 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, at 1:13pm, gaf at blu.org wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK, under VMWare, each OS is in its own
> container, and cannot share files directly (but can export and import via
> NFS and SMB).

  Yes.  VMware is trying to be a full virtual machine; the guest OS uses its
native filesystem drivers to add structure what it believes to be a
standard, block-addressable disk drive.  VMware can either use a "virtual"
disk (basically, a big file in your host OS filesystem (similar to the
"loopback driver" in Linux)), or it can use an actual partition on your real
disk.  The latter is neat because you can boot from the same partition
outside of Linux, letting you run "the real thing" if needed.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>