running Linux at work with Windows apps

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Mon Nov 11 14:30:26 EST 2002

In a message dated: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:02:44 EST
"Jerry Feldman" said:

>The question more specifically:
>If you are running VMWare and the Linux OS is running and the Windows OS is
>not running, can Linux access any files in the Windows container, or must
>Windows be running. In Win4Lin, since the Windows directories are part of
>the Linux file system, all the Windows files are directly accessable by
>Linux rather than via SMB.

The same is true for VMWare if Linux is the Host OS and Windows is
the client OS (keep in mind that VMWare can run Linux on Linux, etc.
it's not restricted to only Windows like Win4Lin is).

So, if Linux is the host OS (i.e. natively installed on the
physically hw) and then Windows is installed *into* VMWare as a
client OS, you can have your files stored natively under the Linux
file system.

Getting all this to work is *easier* if your Windows system installed
inside of VMWare is accessing an SMB share, shared out via Samba from
your Linux system.  But this configuration is not necessary IIRC
(which I may not :).

But yes, you can access your Windows files from the Linux system
natively if VMWare is not running.
--

Seeya,
Paul