running Linux at work with Windows apps

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Nov 12 12:52:16 EST 2002

"Roger H. Goun" said:
>On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:51:40PM -0500, Scott Prive wrote:
>
>> I'll interpret the question as: "Can the Linux (host) OS access
>> files of the Windows (client) OS, even when the client is not
>> running?"
>> 3) If you use only disk images, then no (unless there's a mount tool
>> for vmware images, which there may be I don't know..).
>
>There is. See:
>
>    http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/loopback_linux.html

Unfortunately, VMware changed the file format of thier virtual disks
going from 2.x to 3.x.  This doesn't work with the .vmdk files.  The old
format was just a dd image.  The new one has different data structures
in it.

So it's back to running the client and using smbclient //<ipaddress of
client on vmnet1>/<filesystem> in linux.

Or have raw partitions and mount directly.

>-- Roger
>
>--
>Roger H. Goun                  Brentwood Country Animal Hospital, P.C.
>Chief Kennel Officer           Exeter, New Hampshire, USA

-------
Tom Buskey