"Freedom Downtime" [was: Kevin Mitnick speaking at Marlboro Softpro tonight... (fwd)]

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Wed Nov 13 08:12:49 EST 2002

Okay, here's my little 2600 rant :)

2600 used to be a good magazine, but now all they are is a political
front that is a bit to extreme for me. The magazine and the radio show
they have used to be all about hacking, messing around with stuff, and
just general fun with computer and electronics. Now it's always the same
crap on how to get by some stupid censorware at school, the DMCA and how
companies are evil.

I'm not saying what they're talking about isn't true, but I buy 2600 to
learn stuff, not to listen to listen to all their propaganda.

And as far as Freedom Downtime.. Can anybody please tell me why this
hasn't been released on DVD. I've sent email to them about it and never
get a response. You can release non CSS and region encoded DVDs, lots of
porn, anime, and public domain movies are out on DVD that way. Producing
DVDs is a LOT cheaper then VHS tapes (since you can press a DVD but
there's no such thing as high speed copy for VHS video tape). There is
no reason for them not to release it on DVD except for some weak
political statement that makes no sense since they don't have to have
region coding or CSS encryption. Also, you would think by now somebody
would have mpeg'd it and put it on a p2p network, but that hasn't
happened yet either.

Anyway, just my little rant :)