Humor: The Evolution of a Programmer

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu Nov 14 13:12:22 EST 2002

In a message dated: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:47:46 EST
bscott at ntisys.com said:

>> As you develop a program you do a lot of that kind of inspection - it's
>> only a savings of typing "print" each time, but it adds up. A typically
>> "Pythonic" streamlining.
>
>  Perl's debugger has a similar feature, except you do need a single-letter
>command ('x') before the expression to evaluate.  A typically Perlish
>streamlining: Abbreviated, inconsistent, and cryptic.  ;-)

Why is 'x' abbreviated, inconsistent, or cryptic?
What would you have instead? (note that (p)rint does in fact exist,
and is analogous to the gdb command 'print').

It's a debugger command and has a specific purpose.  Lack of full
understanding of the tool on a user's part does not constitute
inconsistency or being cryptic on the designer's part.  Especially if
what you are labelling as cryptic is as well and completely
documented as the perl debugger.
--

Seeya,
Paul